Dr. Kinney began his industrial career in the CNS group at Wyeth, where he invented the unique NMDA antagonist perzinfotel that progressed to phase II clinical trials for pain. At Magainin Pharmaceuticals, he was an inventor of trodusquemine (phase II, obesity) and squalamine (phase II, eye disease), two shark-derived natural products; and led their development from a CMC perspective. In 2000, he joined Johnson & Johnson, where he pursued peptide-mimetic integrin antagonists and urotensin-II receptor modulators for cardiovascular indications. He also made seminal discoveries with respect to self-assembling collagen-mimetic peptides that stimulate platelet aggregation. Currently, Dr. Kinney is Senior VP of R&D at Enterin Inc. and Chief Scientific Officer at Kannalife Sciences Inc. He is Founder of IteraMed, a company focused on medicinal chemistry, drug discovery, and small business development. Dr. Kinney founded Revive Genomics in 2015 to discover and elucidate mechanisms of actions of natural products using genomic methods. Dr. Kinney’s scientific contributions include greater than 70 publications and invited lectures, and inventorship on 47 issued U.S. patents.
Relevant publications in natural products isolation, synthesis, mimicry, and optimization are shown below:
1. "The Synthesis and Characterization of Analogs of the Antimicrobial Compound Squalamine: 6b-Hydroxy-3-aminosterols Synthesized from Hyodeoxycholic Acid" S. R. Jones, W. A. Kinney, X. Zhang, L. M. Jones, B. S. Selinsky, Steroids1996, 61, 565-571.
2. “Squalamine Inhibits Angiogenesis and Solid Tumor Growth in Vivo and Perturbs Embryonic Vasculature” A. K. Sills, Jr., J. I. Williams, B. M. Tyler, D. S. Epstein, E. P. Sipos, M. P. McLane, S. Pitchford, K. Cheshire, F. H. Gannon, W. A. Kinney, T. L. Chao, J. D. Davis, M. Donowitz, J. Laterra, M. Zasloff, H. Brem, Cancer Research1998, 58, 2784-2792.
3. “Synthesis of Squalamine Utilizing a Readily Accessible Spermidine Equivalent” X. Zhang, M. N. Rao, S. R. Jones, B. Shao, P. Feibush, M. McGuigan, N. Tzodikov, B. Feibush, I. Sharkansky, B. Snyder, L. M. Mallis, A. Sarkahian, S. Wilder, J. E. Turse, W. A. Kinney, H. J. Kjaersgaard, R. S. Michalak, J. Org. Chem.1998, 63, 8599-8603.
4. “Aminosterols from the Dogfish Shark Squalus acanthias” M. R. Rao, A. E. Shinnar, L. A. Noecker, T. L. Chao, B. Feibush, B. Snyder, I. Sharkansky, A. Sarkahian, X. Zhang, S. R. Jones, W. A. Kinney, M. Zasloff, J. Nat. Products2000, 63 (5), 631-635.
5. “A Short Formal Synthesis of Squalamine from a Microbial Metabolite” W. A. Kinney, X. Zhang, J. I. Williams, S. Johnston, R. S. Michalak, M. Deshpande, L. Dostal, J. P. N. Rosazza, Org. Lett.2000, 2 (19), 2921-2922.
6. “A Spermine-Coupled Cholesterol Metabolite from the Shark with Potent Appetite Suppressant and Antidiabetic Properties” M. Zasloff, J. I. Williams, Q. Chen, M. Anderson, T. Maeder, K. Holroyd, S. Jones, W. A. Kinney, K. R. Cheshire, Int. J. Obesity2001, 25, 689-697.
7. “Studies with an Orally Bioavailable Alpha-V/Beta-3 Integrin Antagonist in Animal Models of Ocular Vasculopathy: Retinal Neovascularization in Mice and Retinal Vascular Permeability in Diabetic Rats” R. J. Santulli, W. A. Kinney, S. Ghosh, B. L. DeCorte, L. Liu, R. W. A. Tuman, Z. Zhou, N. Huebert, S. E. Bursell, A. C. Clermont, M. B. Grant, L. C. Shaw, S. A. Mousa, R. A. Galemmo, Jr., D. L. Johnson, B. E. Maryanoff, B. P. Damiano, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther.2008, 324, 894-901.
8. “Thrombogenic Collagen-Mimetic Peptides: Self-Assembly of Triple Helix-Based Fibrils Driven by Hydrophobic Interactions” M. A. Cejas, W. A. Kinney, C. Chen, J. G. Vinter, H. R. Almond, Jr., K. M. Balss, C. A. Maryanoff, U. Schmidt, M. Breslav, A.Mahan, E. Lacy, C. Yang, B. E. Maryanoff, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA2008, 105, 8525-8530.
9. "Discovery of KLS-13019, a Cannabidiol-Derived Neuroprotective Agent, with Improved Potency, Safety, and Permeability" W. A. Kinney, M. E. McDonnell, H. M. Zhong, C. Liu, L. Yang, W. Ling, T. Qian, Y. Chen, Z. Cai, D. Petkanas, D. E. Brenneman, ACS Med. Chem. Lett.2016, 7 (4), 424-428.